477 Installation - Timing Chain too short

REHNT

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
I am installing the 477 big bore and got the head on to find that the timing chain won't fit over the cam sprocket. I have pulled it apart again and taken the stator motor cover off and checked everything, and it still doesn't fit when I put the head and can on.

What am I missing here?

I really do not know. I have watched at least 20 477/500 conversions and this problem never came up. So there must be a solution. Maybe @Dool can help!

When you attempt to install the chain, is the cam already sitting in its bearings?
It is not long enough to be fitted with the sprocket on its boss either.

cant be done that way, you probably have guessed the chain is not long enough.
The chain is introduced to the cam which comes in on an angle left side down, the sprocket is just floating on the cam, when chain is over the cam and set into the bearing the sprocket is fitted with the chain and lifted up and on to the boss.
Sorry I cant be more help.

I do remember my mechanic had to fumble quite a bit at that point, so it is not an easy task per se. My BS3 has reached 55.000km so the cam chain is due for replacement, I will video it but it may take a while - few weeks, before I get around doing it.

My mechanic had the engine half way disassembled when he realized one particular tool was missing. I have ordered it from amazon and we had to abort the process (we had 3 cameras in place !!) until the tool arrives around the 15th of July (!!).

Magnet Puller/Flywheel Puller​

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 41
Cam chains were replaced previously so a tool. existed

OK, I have been working on this periodically during breaks in my work schedule, and this is where I am up to.
1. I took off the stator motor and flywheel to look at the cam chain and bottom sprocket.
2. I then put the 477 barrel and head back on and the same issue occurred (see photos 1 and 2 below).
3. I then took out the chain guides and had no change in the fitting.
4. Lastly, I took the piston off and put the 411 barrel back on and it all fits together nicely (see photo 3).

Does anyone have an explanation for this because there are no physical differences between the barrels that I can see.

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_165535.jpg
    IMG_20240728_165535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240728_165541.jpg
    IMG_20240728_165541.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20240728_171846.jpg
    IMG_20240728_171846.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 40
This, if you are doing correctly can only be caused by the size of the barrel.
Measure the distance from base gasket to head gasket faces.

Obviously all 477 barrels are based on the OEM barrel, we do not manufacture our own barrels. The only thing different is the liner which's size should not matter here.
You cant see a difference because there is none :cool:

Back