Complete kit for the replacement of the O2 sensor

thony

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
Run into this. A bolt and a plug. But I am curious on how this would affect our heavily modded Himas.

The O2 sensor located inside the exhaust is used to detect the emissions from the engine.
The O2 sensors are fitted to enable the ECU to weaken the fuel mixture to comply with the emission standards
and in certain throttle positions (mainly mid-range) will try to lean the mixture too much.
This is good for the emissions but not for the performance and smoothness of the engine.

With the elimination of the sensor:

Improve throttle response, with smoother power delivery and more torque available
Support Fuel Injection modifications like Power Commander or V&H Fuelpak
and other mods that require the elimination of the sensor.
Or you might simply want to disable a faulty o2 sensor.​

Option 3 :alien:

We are already in total control of our fuel mixture via red box so...

So Stainless Steel Plug replaces the O2 sensor. That bit is easy :)
Electrical plug replaces the Sensor and now must inform the ECU that the engine is Lean or place it in Open Loop?
I have the OEM 02 sensor fitted and it works with the RB, I don't take much notice what it reads when connected to the Software because I don't trust it to be able to give reliable data.
The sensor has 4 wires, my PT came with a Loom add on that had 1 wire cut and joined to another, there is not much happening in the Plug they are selling!

Well, the actual kit has nothing special you are right. I was more on the side of how the fueling would behave if I run to the hardware store and purchase a bolt.

Last edited:
Save going to the Hardware store, just leave the sensor in place and play with the circuit. :unsure:
Only 4 wires, the addition to the Loom with the PT I bought was 1 wire cut and joined to another! cold solder joint that moved freely( cold soldering iron) it did not bring up errors when used so the ecu seemed happy to be tricked.
4 wires, what have we got?, earth( maybe not ) power in, heater?, signal. I know which ones I would not join:ROFLMAO:

Well, the actual kit has nothing special you are right. I was more on the side of how the fueling would behave if I run to the hardware store and purchase a bolt.
Don't do that, it's useless.

Let me explain: the RB let's you choose if you want to use that data or ignore it altogether.

V6 you have has been developed to the goal in mind of using properly the O2 sensor to achieve a better fuel economy during steady state conditions (or closed loop mode, as it is properly called).
If you don't want to use the O2 and discard its input you can do two thigs, via software, without having to mess up with wiring or plugs:
You either put all zeroes in the "air fuel ratio" tables in the software or, even neater, you go into the "Set and Info" tab and check the box "AFR not processed" in the ECU settings part. That's it.

I don't recommend it though, as my maps tend alwasy to be a tiny bit on the rich side and the closed loop mode that goes with the O2 input is good to assure your spark plug doesn't go black...

as my maps tend alwasy to be a tiny bit on the rich side and the closed loop mode that goes with the O2 input is good to assure your spark plug doesn't go black...
about that: in order to fix the crazy behavior of my BS6, cutouts, no power etc. I went back to the first map you helped me create for the PT V4. I switched to the rich version of the 2 maps and gave fuelx pro the full 10 + fuel. I rode all the way to manali with it, checking the spark plug at the 500km mark in manali and it turned out brownish grey so I figured too lean. bought a new plug to have it inspected in leh again after another 500km and still almost white electrode, way too lean. this is riding at 4000+ meters elevation, it should have been rich!
the engine temp at time when climbing reached 120C and was hoovering around 95C most of the time. Normal is 70C.
but the biggest surprise came at the fuel pump: after 320ish km it took only 9.3 liters so averaging 3l/100 which is 0.5 less than the standard Hima takes.
I have now added 10% and 20% in maps 1 and 2 over the entire rpm range. will test ride it here at 2500m and check the plug after a while.

Back