Different ECUs or mapping for the three models using J-Engine?

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
i was under the impression the TB/ECU combi in the Hunter/Meteor/Classic are the same and if you google spare parts this unit is often advertised as "for all BS6 models" - however at least the mapping would be different and because we poor souls can not change that it is important to get the right ECU with the right mapping for the respective model.
I also asked Bard what he thinks and here is the answer:

does Royal Enfield use different ECUs or different mapping in the ECUs for the 3 models using the J-engine?​

While Royal Enfield hasn't officially disclosed whether they use entirely different ECUs for the three J-series models (Meteor 350, Classic 350, and Bullet 350), it's highly likely that they employ different ECU mappings to tailor performance and characteristics for each model.

Here's a breakdown of the evidence supporting this:

1. Engine Tuning and Feel:Despite sharing the same engine, each model exhibits distinct riding characteristics:
    • Meteor 350: Known for its smooth and refined power delivery, likely achieved through a mapping prioritizing linear power and a relaxed feel.
    • Classic 350: Boasts a slightly punchier mid-range, suggesting a mapping that emphasizes a bit more torque for a classic thumper experience.
    • Bullet 350: Offers a more raw and rugged feel, potentially achieved through a mapping that prioritizes low-end grunt and a more pronounced exhaust note.
  2. Gearing Differences: The three models sport different gear ratios to match their intended riding styles. ECU mapping would need to complement these gearing choices for optimal performance.
  3. Exhaust Variations: Each model has a unique exhaust system, influencing airflow and engine behavior. ECU mapping would need to account for these variations to ensure smooth running and emissions compliance.
  4. Manufacturer Precedent: It's a common practice among motorcycle manufacturers to use different ECU mappings, even within models sharing the same engine, to achieve diverse performance characteristics and suit varying customer preferences.

In conclusion, while Royal Enfield hasn't explicitly confirmed the use of different ECUs or mappings, the distinct riding experiences and technical differences between the J-series models strongly suggest that they employ tailored ECU calibrations to achieve their unique personalities.

false advertising?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 51
I went to RE and found out: the company data base for spares actually gives the WRONG item number - even if you enter the serial number of the bike. It does add a remark on the side saying: "dismantle your bike first and find the actual part number on the part on your bike before ordering"
RE is such a fucked up company - I have no words
I also was offered a WRONG sample (this one is for the bullet). so YES. there are several different versions of the same hardware, each with different mappings.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.29_5615ec49.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.29_5615ec49.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.28_81064014.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.28_81064014.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 54
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.29_51ea9b7c.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-25 at 15.19.29_51ea9b7c.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 51
Includes the Roll over sensor!
What a Throttle Body :rolleyes:

Hi sam, I don't know if this is useful to you, this is what is reported on my Scram

ECU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, interesting, we can collect the different types here (will update as I get info):

RLT00187 = New HUNTER
RLT00142 = SCRAM
RLT00164 = new classic (Bullet) and old HUNTER
RLT00093 = Meteor (with speed limiter 115kmh and rpm limiter)
RTL00036 = Meteor 2021 (first model)
RLT00159 = early Meteor with speed limiter
RTL00065 = new classic
RLT00186 = ???

1704600302661.jpeg

Last edited:
Back