Hima BS6 surprise - fuel pump exchange leads to very substantial power increase

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
I had given the 500cc Himalayan BS6 for service after the spiti/leh/manali/rishikesh tour. I got to the workshop without problems but when my mechanic tried to start the bike the fuel pump remained silent. Fortunately I had a spare ready. After replacing the pump the bike felt as responsive and fast as its carby brother who used to be much more lively - now they are at par.
Amazing how an under performing fuel pump can shoot down much of the tuning stuff I did, icluding tampering with the PT mapping and fuelx pro setting.
The worst part is that I never suspected the pump to have much influence.
The bike has only 14k km on it. I will dis assemble the old pump and check the filter - maybe that is the culprit. I also have a bunch of fuel pump motors in stock so I can refurbish it and keep it as backup.

Not hard to check the Fuel pump pressure I get a peak of 42psi.
video coming son.

It would be interesting to know how you connected the instrument. I mean what did it pump when you measured? fuel or air?

I have a connection similar to the fuel line attached to the gauge.
Air would have been displaced by the fuel and may be why it peaks at 42psi.
The term "dead heading" is I believe what I did.
I also have a kit that has a tap/valve so that the fuel line can stay connected to the injector then be stopped from going to the injector and only acting on the gauge.
If you have a fuel line you could just connect it straight to the gauge and get the reading

Back