Hunter TB/ECU on Meteor 500

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
I had the Hunter ECU swapped to my Meteor 500 to find out if it does anything.
well, it does - the bike is more lively I think (although, nothing world moving and on the edge of placebo) but I like it, I leave it in place and have already gotten me a new one for my Hunter. The Meteor TB will be retired.

However for those thinking it has no rpm or speed (?) limiter - it does. The 500 gets very fast to 100kmh, then a bit slower to 110kmh - but that is the end of the line. Downhill, uphill, no difference - at 110 indicated the bike stops accelerating.

For mysterious reasons the attachment of the cheap RPM meter limited the top speed of the Meteor 500, when removed it went to 120 kmh indicated and would probably have reached 125 with a light weight rider. This is not in any way what we expected - because a stock Meteor can reach these speeds (jn some alleged cases without any proof other than the word of the owner). I have personally tried 3 Meteor, one brand new (100km on odo), one a few 1000km (so fully broken in) and mine. NONE of them in the 350 OEM configuration went beyond 110kmh on our test road which allows for 1km straight acceleration and under no wind condition. Some Hunter owners claim 120kmh top speed on the German autobahn but only one claims 140 indicated on a meteor with his gps showing 134. I have my doubts - but unfortunately this individual is not willing to discuss the issue on top of the data already given (and he is a mod in a forum I am not willing to get kicked off by challenging his fragile ego LOL).

I had the Hunter ECU swapped to my Meteor 500 to find out if it does anything.
well, it does - the bike is more lively I think (although, nothing world moving and on the edge of placebo) but I like it, I leave it in place and have already gotten me a new one for my Hunter. The Meteor TB will be retired.

However for those thinking it has no rpm or speed (?) limiter - it does. The 500 gets very fast to 100kmh, then a bit slower to 110kmh - but that is the end of the line. Downhill, uphill, no difference - at 110 indicated the bike stops accelerating.
What I understand is that there are also Hunter TB with a limiter.
What is the advantage of a BB 500 kit other than that you get better driving characteristics. Ultimately, we want to be able to generate just a little more speed.

For mysterious reasons the attachment of the cheap RPM meter limited the top speed of the Meteor 500, when removed it went to 120 kmh indicated and would probably have reached 125 with a light weight rider. This is not in any way what we expected - because a stock Meteor can reach these speeds (jn some alleged cases without any proof other than the word of the owner). I have personally tried 3 Meteor, one brand new (100km on odo), one a few 1000km (so fully broken in) and mine. NONE of them in the 350 OEM configuration went beyond 110kmh on our test road which allows for 1km straight acceleration and under no wind condition. Some Hunter owners claim 120kmh top speed on the German autobahn but only one claims 140 indicated on a meteor with his gps showing 134. I have my doubts - but unfortunately this individual is not willing to discuss the issue on top of the data already given (and he is a mod in a forum I am not willing to get kicked off by challenging his fragile ego LOL).
With a tailwind, belly on the tank, BMC air filter, Decat driver 86kg, I arrive at 116km GPS and 121km odometer.
With a headwind and a 16th front sprocket I can't get any higher than 110 in 4 gear and nothing higher in 5th.

What I understand is that there are also Hunter TB with a limiter.
What is the advantage of a BB 500 kit other than that you get better driving characteristics. Ultimately, we want to be able to generate just a little more speed.
with any BB kit on any bike, even the older Himalayans with carburetors, you always need to change the sprockets to get higher top speed.
Otherwise the BB will only get to the top speed faster but not make the bike faster. Red line is red line, BB or no BB.

with any BB kit on any bike, even the older Himalayans with carburetors, you always need to change the sprockets to get higher top speed.
Otherwise the BB will only get to the top speed faster but not make the bike faster. Red line is red line, BB or no BB.
Does the BB have the same red line as the standard? In addition, I now cannot get the Meteor to reach its rpm limiter in 5th gear. It seems to me that the BB with a TB of a Hunter reaches its top speed more easily. And also higher than the 120 on the odometer then the standard Meteor.

Does the BB have the same red line as the standard? In addition, I now cannot get the Meteor to reach its rpm limiter in 5th gear. It seems to me that the BB with a TB of a Hunter reaches its top speed more easily. And also higher than the 120 on the odometer then the standard Meteor.
well, yes and no.

theoretically yes, but with the puny power the 350 has you will never get to that line unless downhill a long stretch maybe.
If you do not change the gear ratio in the chain set you can not up the top speed even with BB kit. Considering its a long stroke originally that is also not healthy for the engine.
Unfortunately in this time and age advertising that borders on fraud is rampant - one example is claims of 25% gain by adding the "fuelx pro+" to the mix. If you understand what it does you also understand that 25% is simply not possible. There are some offers out there like the cam from Hitchcock which is more "real" in what the advert promises - but even they trick around with their graphs and the unprepared or casual reader will be hoodwinked easily.
There is an age old adage with any engine when it comes to adding real power: "nothing beats displacement, except more displacement".

Last edited:
It is easy to make claims (bs), 20% for a Tec cam and zero for the "others" who don't drill the oil holes :ROFLMAO:
Talk is cheap, I have proven results from a single Dyno with zero manipulation and Ive got nearly 50 percent.
All the rest is Fake news.

Back