Recall in the USA

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
In the USA, 4,891 Himalayans must be taken to the workshop. Royal Enfield is recalling all models delivered between 2017 and 2021 and replacing the brake caliper of the front and rear brakes. The reason is corrosion in the brake piston guide, which can lead to jamming of the brake piston. The corrosion is triggered by road salt on the roads during winter operation.
The installed brake calipers from Brembo subsidiary Bybre are painted, according to NHTSA, and will be exchanged for identical examples with an anodized surface, which should solve the problem of corrosion caused by salt ingress.

Recall in Europe?

Officially, there is no known recall for the Royal Enfield Himalayan in Europe (yet), but the American documents state that the recall applies to the EU, UK, Korea, Japan and USA.
Old problem rediscovered

The recall of Bybre saddles is not new. BMW Motorrad already recalled the C 400 X, G 310 R and G 310 GS models in the U.S. in 2019 - due to the same problem. And even the 650 models from Royal Enfield got new brakes, as MOTORRAD experienced in an endurance test over 50,000 kilometers on an Interceptor 650.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Source:

Recall has been in full swing here in Italy for the last year. I received the letter shortly after buying the bike second hand.

So yes, at least here, the recall is going on and has been fully applied to all bikes between 2018 and 2020.

Even if you hadn't received the letter, you could simply show up at a dealer and have them replaced.

What the Brakes are No good?

Having not done the first service with the Dealer I assumed I would have avoided/excluded myself, from that recall notice :giggle:
I have not yet locked up the Front wheel and it has managed me to just avoid things, I would like to try different size Master cylinders before making other changes
Not having Salt on the roads seems to be a plus, we export Salt thats probably a plus for some multinational, why is RE held responsible?

What is Replaced ? did I miss out on something :unsure:

The replaced both brake calipers, front and rear. All the rest stayed the same and in fact the bike kept on not braking! 🤣

Yes I think the real responsible for this is the master cylinder which is too small…

The replaced both brake calipers, front and rear. All the rest stayed the same and in fact the bike kept on not braking! 🤣

Yes I think the real responsible for this is the master cylinder which is too small…
Do we know the size of the Master Cylinder?

Reviving an old thread...

Sasa, I'm curious about your opinion on 'the small MC' at this point in time, now that you've removed the ABS System. How do you feel about the Braking Performance now, and do you still feel that the OEM MC insufficient?

I'm only asking out off curiosity, and I'm about to remove my ABS, but I've been happy with my FRONT Brake since changing the Caliper to the Harley left-over. My Rear Brake really Sux tho...
Boberto

Sasa, I'm curious about your opinion on 'the small MC' at this point in time, now that you've removed the ABS System. How do you feel about the Braking Performance now, and do you still feel that the OEM MC insufficient?

I'm only asking out off curiosity, and I'm about to remove my ABS, but I've been happy with my FRONT Brake since changing the Caliper to the Harley left-over. My Rear Brake really Sux tho...
Boberto

It’s difficult to comment yet since my bike is still not in one piece!

It has gone through a major overhaul, including a color change!

It should be back on the road next week, if stars align correctly…

Boberto
What about some more info on this Sportster ( locally made? ) Front Brake, like what year model, it could be what is needed. For it to have changed anything it would have to be, 1 a different Size, 2 different Pads. or DOP duel Opposing Pistons:unsure:
Soon, as in before the Year is over ;) I will check the stock MC sizes.

I am wary of the larger MC's that I have purchased, partly because I dont want to Learn " how to bleed the ABS" and dont understand it that well either or at all!.
The ABS worked for me just recently (dry road) and I would like to keep it for that and because I paid for it!
You would have to presume that ABS aside, a bigger MC will send more Fluid to the Caliper making it happen quicker but at the cost of Effort, Physics, Hydraulics, common sense, whatever.

Hey Peter.
About all I know regarding my HD Front Caliper was that it was off of a Street 750. The Reason that I got it was that these were Re-Called/Replaced by HD on these bikes for some reason so I got it for cheap!?! Yikes!!
[ https://www.bikedekho.com/news/harley-davidson-recalls-street-750-for-brake-issue ]
I did have one instance where it froze and wouldn't function (that was fun) but this was long back and during monsoon, so riding through lakes and rivers, which I presumed to cause the malfunction. I've wanted to rebuild the Caliper since that episode but never got around to it, mainly bc the Kit is difficult to obtain.

On the Removal of the ABS: I had a private conversation w/Sasa about this awhile back. I remember one thing from the conversation which really stood out for me, as it seemed to tie the pieces together about my feelings on the OEM Braking, and why it is generally Bashed around the world! (Also why I asked him how it was working out now). He stated that he felt (don't know the exact phrase he used) that the problem with the ABS System used, is, the fact that the Fluid had to 1st go Back to the ABS Unit, then Forward to the Caliper was what and why it felt Mushy and didn't work well. I applied that logic too, to the Rear Brake, which has a different problem (on my bike?), but perhaps Related to this idea, as my bike would Always Lock up the Rear Tire and I never experienced the typical ABS Pulsating action on it.

To me it didn't even seem to have ABS so I figure why keep it?
Boberto

Last edited:
On the Test ride before buying I tested the Back, it certainly worked, wasn't game to test the Front.
When it was needed it worked!

Certainly it adds a level of Complexity and I dread trying to Bleed it, but will have to learn that at some stage, the unit has its own Control/ECU a Pump and Valves, what could go wrong?

Based on my limited understanding of the system I believe I can install a larger MC and retain the ABS, that was the Plan anyhow :)

For the Harley Caliper to be better it would also either require more Movement at the Handle Bars or more Force applied and less Movement, which is yours?

For the Harley Caliper to be better it would also either require more Movement at the Handle Bars or more Force applied and less Movement, which is yours?
I don't really recall the before & after experience Peter, so can't answer your question. My EZ-Clutch makes it painless either way.

I'm sure you might know this, and probably even have one, but a Mighty-Vac is what you'd need for bleeding the ABS System I believe.

A "Mighty-Vac" is something I dont have actually, got all sorts of things so it makes me wonder if there is room for more.

On the subject of Faults and Recalls @sam2019 you made up a list once of Himalayan Blunders, where does that live ?

Roy Gavin has referred to it on REOF, I am trying to both get it and explain why they dont have it at the same time ;)

I have renamed it to make it easier to find and also made it sticky:

Back