ABS removal

Dool

Backyard Bodger
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
@Sasa has done it apparently. Bob is Talking of it also, what gives?

Hate to sound like that old bloke who keeps repeating himself but, one of the reasons I ( stupidly?) forked out an extra 500 aussie dollars when I bought my first Himalayan was the ABS, never had it on a Bike before and admired it my cars for quarter of a Century so it was like a Plus I thought ( didnt cancel out the Pain of the EFI that came with the ABS ).

So now it would appear that the Carby model would have saved me much much more than 500 bucks, but hey, then I wouldn't have had so much frkn fun trying to understand EFI :geek:
Not saying I fully understood Carbies but KISS (keep it simple stupid) So why remove the ABS? does it cause problems, I removed a few other things like an Evap and air injection, think sometimes the latter could have stayed but it is in the way of removing the Cam Cover which happens an awful lot in my case.

Never thought of improving the Brakes just thought how do I make it go faster, did I get it wrong:unsure:

@Dool my main reason for removing the abs is that it wasn’t working in the first place.

During the caliper replacement campaign a so called mechanic forgot to put back the front abs sensor after swapping the caliper, so it dangled around for a bit before I noticed it. To bad it was fried at that point.

The other issue I have is that you can’t properly bleed the brakes unless you use the diagnostic tool, at least according to the workshop manual. There is a specific menu for that in which you can manually activate the abs pump, one circuit at the time, and bleed it properly. Any attempt without activating the pump would result in some air trapped in the pump and the subsequent “mushy” brake feeling.
Without the pump bleeding is much easier and I can tell you that my brake lever comes to a full and firm stop if you squeeze it tightly. Before would keep going the more you push.

Also I have never tripped the front abs to work, not even intentionally.
The 1.5kg of weight saving is an added bonus…

Anyhow if the system was working in the first place, I would have probably left it alone…

I removed mine for various reasons. Simplicity, brake feel, performance, weight savings, and it freed up a little space.
If ABS was an option when I bought mine I wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. I rode for quite a while before removing the system and never activated the ABS anyway.
I figure that in the future if I want to reinstall it, it won’t be that difficult.

For experimenting with different sized Master cylinders ( which involves Bleeding? ) I would imagine removing the ABS first is a must.

@Sullivanpbr what hoses did you use when removing the ABS unit? I think what @Sasa did was using BS3 hoses.
Yes, you could use BS3 and those are plug and play!

The other option would be to have them custom made to length! Pro: you could use quality hoses; Cons: it's probably more expensive than BS3s and you have to get it right the first time or you can trash the hose.

Anyhow my braking feeling has gone up a lot and braking power too (Not a Panigale V4, but much better than stock...).

I wouldn't trust my brakes to some obscure chinese manufacturer.

My suggestion is to find needed length with a a small cord or a wire and then make pictures of the connectors at either sided of the hose. With all these information you could go directly to a shop that manufactures hoses for hydraulic system and have them custom made. They usually cut the hose to length, add the termination of your choice and the press hydraulically the terminations in place.

It's going to be a little pricier but way safer...

You have a Higher value on life than some :ROFLMAO:.
My Clutch line is a swivel end type from China, I trust that!

OK here is what I did with my abs removal. Ended up recycling stock hoses, and they fitted quite close to a spec I must say even for an 8cm taller bike. Already tested offroading and on a 1000km trip I did last weekend.

Attachments

• 20230920_164618.jpg
    20230920_164618.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • 20230920_164628.jpg
    20230920_164628.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 20230920_164651.jpg
    20230920_164651.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230920_164702.jpg
    20230920_164702.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Legend.
The hoses used that way is testament 😎
How many hoses left over?

Legend.
The hoses used that way is testament 😎
How many hoses left over?
1 hose left, the long one that came from the front caliper into the ABS unit. One of the tips would not have worked anyways.

But yeah, I was surprised on how everything fitted. Maybe RE's solution to ABS breakage on the road :alien:

Just a quick update on the recycled hoses, last Sunday I had to brake A LOT. Made a trip up to steep hill all paved but rainy, very slippery concrete road in a very moist weather almost all year round. The way back relied a ton on a very sensitive use of both rear and front brake, mostly front. Made it home. Sign of good.

Back