Better front brake

thony

Developer
Developer
477 Owner
Hello, wanted to bring this back on the new forum, seems like this video covers almost everything on that front brake upgrade. What you all think?

If I hear the name HD in combination with RE it is like Lada and Mercedes. That caliper would cost about as much as a quarter of a bike here in India and probably too much in other countries as well.

Just use sintered pads and you have a good enough brake. If you want to go overboard you can adapt the floating brembo system either from the old 535 Conti (no abs) or from the new 650 (abs). I did both and its fantastic. But also not cheap.

16% increase in area, so an increase in what ever is opposite ;) Lever Movement!
So the same could be done with a Smaller diameter Master Cylinder.:giggle:

If I hear the name HD in combination with RE it is like Lada and Mercedes. That caliper would cost about as much as a quarter of a bike here in India and probably too much in other countries as well.

Just use sintered pads and you have a good enough brake. If you want to go overboard you can adapt the floating brembo system either from the old 535 Conti (no abs) or from the new 650 (abs). I did both and its fantastic. But also not cheap.
Well, those calipers are not necessarily expensive, there are a couple models with or without the HD logo:
"2015 XG750/500 calipers should fit the Himalayan (part number 41300030). No HD logo is the giveaway". 2016-2019 HD Street 750 caliper (part number 41300158A) is different and will not be a direct bolt on."

16% increase in area, so an increase in what ever is opposite ;) Lever Movement!
So the same could be done with a Smaller diameter Master Cylinder.:giggle:
What do you mean @Dool?

You guys think might not be worth it due to the small performance increase, same could be achieved with better pads?

I think the caliper upgrade would be the easiest way to get better braking, 16 percent is a worthwhile improvement.

You guys think might not be worth it due to the small performance increase, same could be achieved with better pads?
more than 16%? yes - maybe 25-30% (just a guess of course, I have them on the 500cc which is a beast and the brakes are sufficient)

I can send you a pair or two - thats just 6 bucks for two sets plus some postage, probably 10 bucks. may still be worth it.

I am running this caliper and it works extremely well. Definitely worth the upgrade if the price for parts isn’t prohibitively high in your area. I’m running an aftermarket master cylinder also, I don’t recall if I replaced the caliper before or after the new master cylinder. I do remember noticing a distinct improvement after the caliper.

Between the new front brake setup and adding the matching Harley two piston caliper to the rear, my bike has brakes comparable or better than most other non performance bikes I have ridden.

I am running this caliper and it works extremely well. Definitely worth the upgrade if the price for parts isn’t prohibitively high in your area. I’m running an aftermarket master cylinder also, I don’t recall if I replaced the caliper before or after the new master cylinder. I do remember noticing a distinct improvement after the caliper.

Between the new front brake setup and adding the matching Harley two piston caliper to the rear, my bike has brakes comparable or better than most other non performance bikes I have ridden.
Are you still using the ABS and have you had any drama bleeding the system?
2 Piston rear! so thats from the same Harley?

I was using abs for awhile. I eventually deleted it. The brakes do seem especially difficult to bleed effectively.
Yes, the rear is from the same bike. It is not a direct bolt-on like the front though.

So the Mod to Rear is difficult?
The rear caliper required welding a tab onto the RE caliper bracket to allow for proper spacing on the mounting points. It was fairly straightforward but does require welding aluminum. It’s possible someone could fabricate a bolt on adapter to accomplish the job, but for me it was simpler to weld/drill/tap to add a mounting point.

Attachments

• IMG_2796.jpeg
    IMG_2796.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2802.jpeg
    IMG_2802.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2803.jpeg
    IMG_2803.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2805.jpeg
    IMG_2805.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
I get it that the front brake is insufficient but the rear ? why change the rear?

Back