Engine oil wanderings

I have yet to determine the Best Place for the Temperature sender, it is at its hottest in the Head, thats where the ECT is taken from.
View attachment 955
This is the ECT sender unit at ambient about 20Deg C. I have seen readings on the Software of 130 plus and this it where it comes from, the Sump gets the oil after it has done its rounds and dropped a lot of heat into the Case so it is a reading yes but not a Critical reading.

A Magnetic plug will stop bits being impacted into the screen and is a good indicator of Bearing failure when doing an oil change :giggle: I bought a Gold one because it will match my new Master Cylinders and Titanium Side Cover Bolts:cool:

I have an Idea for a better spot to mount the Temperature sender unit that , comes with these cheap auto style units.
The End cover of the Cam shaft, that cover held on with 1 bolt at the top right hand side of the pic! Part Number 574188/b

View attachment 957
Since I run an aftermarke speedo that reading unit goes nowhere in mine. I was actually thinking to get a fitting and another of those JMP oil gauges and stick it straight into the cylinder hole. It has to give me a read, good or bad.

Since I run an aftermarke speedo that reading unit goes nowhere in mine. I was actually thinking to get a fitting and another of those JMP oil gauges and stick it straight into the cylinder hole. It has to give me a read, good or bad.
Me No Comprihendo ,which Cylinder Hole ?:unsure:

Well, I meant taking this little gauge from the filler hole up to the actual cylinder head reading hole. To get an analogue reading. Use a 20 to 10 mm fitting. Refresh my mind, true that reading gets to the stock speedo? Mine went long ago (sold it in fact).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-17 at 2.29.37 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-17 at 2.29.37 PM.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 99
I have yet to determine the Best Place for the Temperature sender, it is at its hottest in the Head, thats where the ECT is taken from.
View attachment 955
This is the ECT sender unit at ambient about 20Deg C. I have seen readings on the Software of 130 plus and this it where it comes from, the Sump gets the oil after it has done its rounds and dropped a lot of heat into the Case so it is a reading yes but not a Critical reading.

A Magnetic plug will stop bits being impacted into the screen and is a good indicator of Bearing failure when doing an oil change :giggle: I bought a Gold one because it will match my new Master Cylinders and Titanium Side Cover Bolts:cool:

I have an Idea for a better spot to mount the Temperature sender unit that , comes with these cheap auto style units.
The End cover of the Cam shaft, that cover held on with 1 bolt at the top right hand side of the pic! Part Number 574188/b

View attachment 957
Isn't the hottest a better reading / number to keep in mind?

The Hole in the Head is 10mm 1.25 pitch from memory.
The signal from the sender would going to the ECU not the instrument pod, that one is under the seat( or apparently sandwiched in the rear fender in a BS6 ).
I remember seeing a build by @SoBa that used a Bs3 Head on a Bs4, the sender was just jammed in the Fins of the head.
The circuit would, I imagine be providing data to the ECU, at what temperature it shuts of the fuel perhaps @Sasa can explain when he is finished playing motorcycle mechanic and has got clean hands again :whistle:

And yes the better number to be aware of would be hottest, so I think that means Head, I wonder if we need the ECT temp sender? Or if it could drive both a Temp gauge and the ECU!

Well, I meant taking this little gauge from the filler hole up to the actual cylinder head reading hole. To get an analogue reading. Use a 20 to 10 mm fitting. Refresh my mind, true that reading gets to the stock speedo? Mine went long ago (sold it in fact).
Not really a good idea.

Red Box uses that data do move on the ECT comp table (you can tell by the name!) for both fuel and timing. If you don't provide that info the red box will think the bike is alway cold and provide a lot more fuel (lowermost row in ECT comp INJ table...

Also in the map (V5 or V6, it's the same...) there is an intended fail safe system that, at very high temp like 126/140C ECT, increases fuel and decreases timing, to cool off the engine a little! But if there is no ECT info, then all goes out the window.

Long story short: don't mess with that sensor!

Hey about the Size of the Sump Plug and the one on the front of the Case and the one that lets you see the Timing Marks, they are all 14mmx 1.25 :(
Lucky I only ordered 3 :rolleyes:

Not really a good idea.

Red Box uses that data do move on the ECT comp table (you can tell by the name!) for both fuel and timing. If you don't provide that info the red box will think the bike is alway cold and provide a lot more fuel (lowermost row in ECT comp INJ table...

Also in the map (V5 or V6, it's the same...) there is an intended fail safe system that, at very high temp like 126/140C ECT, increases fuel and decreases timing, to cool off the engine a little! But if there is no ECT info, then all goes out the window.

Long story short: don't mess with that sensor!
For some reason I just thought this has nothing to do with anything more than the display on the speedo! That is a great detail on the extreme temp safety. Thanks Sasa.

Hey about the Size of the Sump Plug and the one on the front of the Case and the one that lets you see the Timing Marks, they are all 14mmx 1.25 :(
Lucky I only ordered 3 :rolleyes:
The one that let's you see the timing mark is not submerged in oil, but rather splashed (ask me how I know it...) so readings would be inconsistent.

You could use the banjo fitting right above the oil filter, but that is already weakened by the center inside hole, I wouldn't add another hole on the outside...

Sump plug is a good spot, but you shall take in account an offset, which isn't going to be linear. I mean that at a certain point you'd probably have an offset of 10C (say ECT 80C, sump 70C) but if you stress the engine with a sudden long acceleration ECT will rise much faster than sump.
Sump wil suffer from the inertia of the whole quantity of oil (1.4L) while ECT will give you a more direct reading of what is going on on the head/cylinder.

The best would be to hack into the communication protocol between the RB and the map switch button. That isn't a simple switch but a small board that communicates to the RB through a communication protocol (CAN? RS232 or RS485?) which is the same protocol the PC uses while you change parameters on the map. On that protocol you can ask and receive any kind of information about sensor (you could read ECT, O2, TPS etc) much like the PC does when it's connectec. If only one could have access to this kind of information, an arduino or a raspberry pi and a small screen could be programmed to output all these information in a much more portable way, as well as integrate a map switch.

Unfortunately no one has access to this info from the manufacturer, since no one knows who the real manufacturer/developer is...

Bintang Racing Team, Indonesia shows ECU's that look the part, ie for a Honda :ROFLMAO:

Maybe they have the software also?

Back