Forced cooling

I'm rethinking this decision to go for this 40% solution Peter. The sticker for me is that Ali is saying that it'll be 45 days for delivery. With that in mind I'm thinking that I'll go with the Spal Fan first and see how that goes; maybe I won't even need anything more, but if I should, then the slow boat from China option is always (?) available...
Bob
PS: I'm sure that you scoured Ali pretty well, but 'it seems' that maybe 1 row Wider on the Cooler would have increased the capacity by more that 40%, no? But I'm guessing (w/o looking) that nothing like that was available?

On another note, what I'd have done Here, is to forego all the fittings that you'd listed and just go to a Hydraulic Hose Shop and have them make a set for me. I believe that this is a costly option for you, but I should think that it's quite inexpensive here, as well as being accessible with numerous shops offering this service.

I'm rethinking this decision to go for this 40% solution Peter. The sticker for me is that Ali is saying that it'll be 45 days for delivery. With that in mind I'm thinking that I'll go with the Spal Fan first and see how that goes; maybe I won't even need anything more, but if I should, then the slow boat from China option is always (?) available...
Bob
PS: I'm sure that you scoured Ali pretty well, but 'it seems' that maybe 1 row Wider on the Cooler would have increased the capacity by more that 40%, no? But I'm guessing (w/o looking) that nothing like that was available?

On another note, what I'd have done Here, is to forego all the fittings that you'd listed and just go to a Hydraulic Hose Shop and have them make a set for me. I believe that this is a costly option for you, but I should think that it's quite inexpensive here, as well as being accessible with numerous shops offering this service
Starting to wonder if I would trust them to make hoses Bob.
Your Fan will also block air flow so you are making it effectively smaller.

Well at least if 'they' did a poor job of making a hose, the problem would show itself pretty quickly, and I could get them to fix it. I'm not so sure about the fan blocking the air enough to matter, of course you may be right, but it seems to me that the air would still have a path to go through the fans fins. It's not exactly like air is gushing through the fins on the best of conditions, except when running on a highway, but for around town when you Really Need the flow the Fan would be there to do it's job. A working theory for now...

The total cost of all those parts landed in my Country is 130 dollars, 7,100. Rupees , 85 USD or 80 Euros, and I have half a meter of hose left over!
I have both Bikes fitted with this system, there is certainly other ways of doing it and I have even tried another way with the bigger cooler from a 750.
this fits and fits well I might be looking thru Rose tinted Glasses but I think I have nailed it :cool:

Getting a couple of hoses made here would cost that much and more with the Banjo Bolt and nipple to attach the cooler.
I will be interested to see what the Hyd shop comes up with, I was an Aeroquip dealer once, I know hoses;)

Peter,
Wondering if you'd considered this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001482572793.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.35.6a3a46c1ozv4YT&algo_pvid=aac95f72-08ed-49ad-a05f-872f517310e8&algo_exp_id=aac95f72-08ed-49ad-a05f-872f517310e8-17&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000016290885117"}&pdp_npi=3@dis!INR!2917.02!2042.0!!!!!@2122443916798322261643345d06e0!12000016290885117!sea!IN!119048260&curPageLogUid=56wlV0RqJXrZ
It's a good bit wider, maybe too much, but I'm thinking it would offer more volume.
I see that Ali really is limited in what they're offering in way of these oil coolers; like 3-4 sizes and a couple of different types.
Bob

Last edited:
I dont know Bob, when I look at that one it is way smaller than mine! You thinking of mounting twin coolers :ROFLMAO:
Their market is for common Chinese engines and so the size is relatively small.
The bigger ones I saw were too wide.

Trust me, I have trolled thru Ali,
There is one other style that I didn't fully check out, it was all rows and no fins!
But size wise this one's an acceptable fit. 1679844368840182048804287367217.jpgTell me I'm wrong :ROFLMAO:

Naw, you ain't wrong.
While snooping around on Ali I realized that there wasn't much choice there, and after checking with you on that last one, realized that you ended up with the only one possibility that'd work.

Now though, I'm wondering if the 4inch Spal Fan will be compatible? Since I've ordered the Spal Fan I don't know if I should wait to see what that Fan sizing dictates, or just shoot from the hip and order this Radiator from Ali too...
Decisions decisions.
Bob

Naw, you ain't wrong.
While snooping around on Ali I realized that there wasn't much choice there, and after checking with you on that last one, realized that you ended up with the only one possibility that'd work.

Now though, I'm wondering if the 4inch Spal Fan will be compatible? Since I've ordered the Spal Fan I don't know if I should wait to see what that Fan sizing dictates, or just shoot from the hip and order this Radiator from Ali too...
Decisions decisions.
Bob
Bob,

the radiator Peter is mounting is more or less the same width of the oem one, just longer.
Spal fan is a tad wider and it will stick out of about 10mm. It is still possible to use it though, so you might even want to just stick to oem and add the fan. That would be already plenty of added coolness (pun intended) ;)

Ya Sasa that's what I was thinking too, and if the bike still runs too hot (in about the worst conditions here in Delhi), then it'll be time to address the Radiator Size. This way I'll really be testing the efficiency of the Spal Fan, which won't be influenced with other changes to the system, and so get a base line on that Mod...
Bob

Today we had a conversation with @Dool about idle and higher ambient temperature and an epiphany struck my mind: why don't we force cooling the engine or the oil radatior?

We've all been stuck in traffic during a hot summer day and any air cooled engine tends to overheat in that condition. Even my stock hima used to start sputtering and die occasionally at traffic lights because the engine was way too hot. Since our engine is cooled (partially) with oil and there is an oil radiator already, the idea is to place one or more fan/fans behind the oil radiator. There are plenty of IP67 (waterproof) 12V fans out there.
The easiest way to drive it would be through a simple switch connected to the battery BUT that wouldn't be neither elegant nor precise as solution.
HOWEVER the mighty Red Box has an unused pin that has exactly that function and it's driven via the engine temperature sensor, with a custom threshold of actuation!

It should go like this: above a certain temperature the RB would close a switch connected to a 12V relay and the relay would then in turn power on the fan!
If anyone is interested, the actuation pin is #19. I'll take some measurements of the oil radiator to see possible fan candidates for the purpose!

What do you guys think?
Now I know what to do with the SV650 cooling fan I have laying around.

Forced Flow versus Increased area,

The Pro's and the Pro's hopefully but there will be tradeoffs with this or any mod.

Increased area would indicate increased oil capacity, could be worth a few Degree's :unsure:

I think the Fan idea more suited to extremes of temperature where its potential to both bock and increase Airflow is an advantage :giggle:

The Climate I enjoy does not include Snow:ROFLMAO:

Its starting to get cooler here so I have made a small adjustment to my 40% bigger Oil Cooler, this reduces the amount of air going through that area slightly and Ill keep doing this as Winter arrives :LOL:

By allowing more air past to cool the Cylinder I am hedging my bets :giggle:

Truth be known it was the victim of an errant Blow from a Soft Hammer but you guessed that😉

IMG_20230329_222208_resized_20230329_114508430.jpgIMG_20230329_222218_resized_20230329_114508668.jpg

it could be an improvement Bob. Anyhow if i replace it I think I would build a frame around it.

852-4b4e76fb68e618f03d640cd77028910c.jpg
Hey @RCruiser this "Modification" did not affect the 0 to 100kph time, I tested it today, different Head and TB same Cam etc how technical is that ?

I will soon drill and Tap both the Sump Plug and The Plug on the RH side case that is over the Oil Gallery, 1/8th NPT so as to fit a Temp sender in the Sump Plug and probably a Stauff Oil Pressure Nipple
Test_Coupling_SMK20_Port-Connection.jpg

(not this one because it isnt 1/8 NPT !) in the Oil Gallery
Normally I would bother removing them from the engine as to save myself the trouble of putting it in a vise and damaging it :ROFLMAO: but I have a couple of new ones coming with a New Cam so I am holding off.
Pressure is not my concern at present but temperature is.
I previously used a Dual meter that read the Temp at the engine Case where the oil enters and leaves but I felt it reflected a lot of Engine Case temperature and not so much the Oil. It had sensors that replaced one of the washers on the Banjo fittings that are the in and out of the oil to the cooler.
So I will have to read the sump oil temp until I can think of a way to read the ( what I think is more important )Temperature of the Oil in the Head.

Its starting to get cooler here so I have made a small adjustment to my 40% bigger Oil Cooler, this reduces the amount of air going through that area slightly and Ill keep doing this as Winter arrives :LOL:

By allowing more air past to cool the Cylinder I am hedging my bets :giggle:

Truth be known it was the victim of an errant Blow from a Soft Hammer but you guessed that😉

View attachment 852View attachment 853
I thought for a moment you had done this on purpose haha

It does Highlight how Malleable the Cooler is, perhaps it can be "Shaped" using a higher degree of expertise than the errant Blow with a Hammer.
It was Cheap!

It does Highlight how Malleable the Cooler is, perhaps it can be "Shaped" using a higher degree of expertise than the errant Blow with a Hammer.
It was Cheap!
Probably is good to be that degree malleabilty to avoid a mess on a real impact situation. Mostly now that is bigger. Let us say you were testing all possible scenarios :cool:

Anyway, i'd like to try this myself, just gotta find the time. Maybe when I retire.

The supplier of the Oil cooler has reached out to me offering a Better deal for a larger quantity.

If some others are considering the same Mod as me then perhaps a better price can be sought, the fittings are cheap as is the Hose.

Back