J-Engine 410cc Thread

sam2019

Administrator
Staff member
Distributor
Developer
477 Owner
I have now driven the Hunter 410 for about 300km and its going very well - with zero other enhancements - no mods at all except the 410cc cylinder.
The additional torque kicks in at around 3500rpm - and it is going up to 110 in no time (much faster than the 350).
This means if one is happy with the original power a 16 teeth sprocket would up the top speed by maybe 10-15kmh.
I have to say I am really positively surprised - I did not expect this effect from only 54 add. cc in displacement. Makes me wonder why RE has not designed it like this from the start. They may be hung up on the 350 number due to the ETERNAL BULLET knowing they would use the same engine for the "reborn classic".

I am preparing 2 more 410cc cylinders that I will sell to forum members with a J engine who want to try it out at a very interesting price point.
Still have to figure out what that would be - but please PM me if interested!

Last edited:
Dool informed me that I made a slight measurement error. Its a 410cc Hunter (not 400 as previously mentioned - I edited the msgs) :)

Hunter 410 -1.jpg

Last edited:
Please continue discussions specific to the 410cc BigBore here.

Took the 410 Hunter down to our "speed test range" and it got to 120 kmh indicated real quick. The top speed is not higher than stock, but you get there quicker. Also: I am 110KG and have the Meteor high handlebar on the Hunter so more wind resistance. I am quite happy with the result considering the Hunter is 100% stock except the added displacement and in the light of the 110kmh the 350 Meteor was able to reach with Hunter ECU and Powertronic.

PPL ask me if the 410cc needs PT V4 or a FuelX Pro+ if they also use other mods, like airbox, exhaust or even a performance cam.
The answer is I don't know.
I have designed the 410 mainly as alternative to a performance cam because I believe that displacement is the more robust tuning vs. just a "hot cam". And this 410 mod alone does not require any ECU changes - based on my own experience. Only 95 RON is needed to avoid knocking.

But if you know how to use a dremel you can enhance the chamber volume very easily. I have done it for the 500cc Meteor where it is mandatory if you cant get your hands on 100RON fuel. For the 410 it would only be added safety in case 95 is not available.
As mentioned I only have experience with the head mod on the 500 and I expected some power loss - and physically there must be some, but it is too small for me to feel it when I drive. I assume the same holds true for the 410 with a bigger chamber volume.

Hello. I attempted to install the 411 kit to my Classic 350 yesterday, but did a big blunder. I Am new to the forum and not sure if this is the right place to ask, so please forgive me.

First I must say that the 411 kit seems very solid, and is quite easy to install. Also the installation video was very helpful!

However, I made a big blunder: At the very end of the process, when I was going to adjust the cam-chain timing, I accidentally dropped a bolt down trough the cam-chain opening. It fell way down, and I was not able to see it from the top opening. Do you have a suggestion on how to fix this? Do I have to open the left side engine cover, or is there any other way to get to the bottom of the cam chain?

Also: It seems that the cam chain is far to tight after reinstalling. Do you know what could have happened, and how to check this as well?

I would think @Dool can say something about recovering stuff that has been dropped into the engine :-)
If it is ferromagnetic that should not be too hard with one of these sticky long magnets

1716814576337.jpeg

About the timing chain being too tight - I have no idea. It seems a bit counter intuitive - but if nobody come up with a reason why this could happen I can ask my mechanic.

also Hitch's video about the cam change may help with details not easily visible in our video

Cam chains can drop and when you pull them up a small amouny of chain hangs from the sprocket underneath.
By pulling the chain and rotating the engine you should get back the Length.
I keep a magnetic pickup tool handy to hold and grab some bolts like the cam sprocket bolts.
If the bolt went down the Chain Tunnel it is possible to you can retrieve it without removing the LH side cover

Thanx. Must have been what happened to the chain, and will try a magnet to pick up the bolt. Atleast I am improving on my my goal to learn and understand the engine better 😅

I trust you have other forms of Transport. :)

Thx. I got the bolt out using a magnet as suggested. Most likely I will find some time to put everything together before the weekend. Quite excited to se how it goes. All in all I think the installation was quite straight forwards. However as I am not 100% done yet, I should probably wait to celebrate.

Edit: the cam chain tension issue solved it self by turning the engine (also as suggested). Thus everything seems fine. Thx 🙏

Got bike together, started and ran well this morning. Have to wait untill the afternoon to do a proper test run. Looks good tough!

Got to testride the bike yesterday. Very pleased. Runs great. Even with the larger 16t cog the improvement in power and torque is significant. Much more so than than that of the performance cam. I did not push it beyond 4000 rpm, but it definitely is stronger from 2000 ish and seem to rev very easily.

The only negative is that the bike seems to be a bit hesitant to run when cold (2-3 min after start). I need to feed a little throttle for it not to die. Is this normal?

I never had cold idle problems, not with 410 or 500. But the cam is not in yet. Looks like it will happen after spiti, in a month. We are taking the Himalayan, not the Meteor anyway,for that trip.

Got to testride the bike yesterday. Very pleased. Runs great. Even with the larger 16t cog the improvement in power and torque is significant. Much more so than than that of the performance cam. I did not push it beyond 4000 rpm, but it definitely is stronger from 2000 ish and seem to rev very easily.

The only negative is that the bike seems to be a bit hesitant to run when cold (2-3 min after start). I need to feed a little throttle for it not to die. Is this normal?
Hello there, did you ever get your cold idle figured out? On my cammed Interceptor I adjusted the throttle stop on the throttle body allowing the throttle blade to open bit more at idle. About the thickness of a credit card. You have to remember that with a larger camshaft or bigger bore you will need to fill the cylinder more air and fuel. All that being said some need adjustment and some don’t as all the throttle stops are not identical in how they are set at the factory. I hope this is helpful

No, but I didn't do anything about it. Just need to work the throttle a little during the first 30 seconds. Not unlike having a carburetor (which I would like to have btw...)

Back